Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dotee Dolls

"I want to make those!" was the first thing I thought when I learned about Dotee Dolls.  These little cuties are like the well-known peanut.  You can't make just one.   I've finished a bunch and have more in progress.   Then I came across a swap for them on t he Art 42 site and had to join that one.  My swap partner is from Michigan so of course I had make hers with robins from Northcutt's State Bird fabric line from several years ago.   I've created a dozen or so Dotees with this fabric group.   Here's my Robin Dotee all finished and another  photo  in her "traveling case" all ready for her trip to her new home.   The 'doll in a bottle' idea was inspired by an exchange a year or so ago when a group exchanged a bottle full of  mixed media supplies.  And yes, the Post Office thinks its just fine.  A little strange, but just fine.




Dotees were originated by a talented Australian lady named Dot and the rest is history.  Like ATCs, Dotees are not to be sold - only traded or given away.  There's no special pattern or style.  The only rule is that they must be between 3-5 inches tall and have a hanger and a 'dangler'.   Except for that, its up to your imagination to create these delightful little cuties.

So what  can you do with a Dotee?   They make nice Christmas tree ornaments.  Why not make them as small gifts for friends and neighbors insted of the traditional cookies?   I plan to do that this year.  O hang them from shelves, or in a window.    I saw a lampshade with Dotees hung all around the edge.  Someone else uses one of those mesh baskets meant for kitchenware.  She hangs her Dotees from clips under the baskets.   Best of all, just have fun making these addictive little pretty art dolls.   Anyone, even with the most minimal sewing skills, can do it.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Oh I have seen these on Dot's blog (http://dotslifeandart.blogspot.com/)and they are totally adorable. I love yours and what a cool idea, Dotee in a bottle! I might have to borrow that idea.

Corinne Marie said...

HI Martha!
I love this Dotee Doll, and putting it in the bottle is just the greatest idea!
Corinne - Art 42

PS if you want more Dotee swaps got the "swap-bot" they have a few going now!